Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Don't Forget Old Acquaintances

It's the eve of another new year, and on this day where resolutions are made, champagne is chilled and party goers don their finery, I can't help but reflect on my friendships. This one's for you, my peeps! I've always loved Robbie Burns', Auld Lang Syne. I know it sounds like he's saying that we should forget our old acquaintances, however I believe he's saying that we should remember our old friends as they have made us who we are. They deserve some honour on New Year's Eve (or Hogmanay, if you're Scottish) or any day. This is what I hope I am going to accomplish today. Webster defines 'friend' as, one attached to another by affection or esteem. I love that, however there is so much more that goes into a quality, lasting friendship. Affection and esteem as just the starting points.
I am truly blessed to have so many extraordinary friends surrounding me. The fact that some of my friendships have remained solid for over 20 years, with some going on 30 years, is astounding! (When did we get so old?) The best thing about these relationships is that there is no pressure, only encouragement and acceptance. I may not see some of them for months and months, and when we finally do get together, we pick up right where we left off. I have never once thought, "why isn't she calling me, why aren't we able to get together more often?", and my friends don't pressure me at all either. That's true friendship! I love you girls. Maybe we got over all of that high school egocentric gobbledygook and forged a rock solid foundation of trust and love.We accept each other. For instance, my life long friends know that I secretly love Barry Manilow, and don't judge me. They know that I will watch good romantic comedies a few hundred times, and that during the 80's my favourite colour was peach. It's comforting to be myself, and I know that these fine ladies will always have my back.
I do have new friendships which I have made, mostly through my daughters' school and activities. These women are inspiring, fun-loving and wise. We talk about problems we are experiencing with our kids, spouses (not my perfect husband, of course), teachers, and countless other things. Often times we just ask, "what are you making for dinner?", just to get some new ideas. I know, it sounds ridiculous to bond over culinary undertakings, but we are all in the throes of raising small people, and it really helps to bounce ideas off of one another. It's comforting to know that we are all in the same boat, and that the boat is stocked full of life-preservers.
Now, onto my two of my most favourite people on the planet earth. My sisters. Where would I be without them? Honestly, I don't know. I am truly grateful for having them in my life, and that we have such a close bond. I often wonder, how did we become so close? Did my mother encourage us to be close? I really don't know. Perhaps, it is because of my father's death when we were relatively young that brought us together. Anyway, whatever it is, it is a fabulous thing. It's not just the sharing of clothes and make up, it goes deeper that that. I wish I could put my finger on exactly the right word to sum up our bond, but it's so many things that no one word seems to suitable. Obviously, it's blood and genes and environment that bring us together, however I know siblings that share all of that hereditary stuff and only tolerate each other. For us, maybe we just want to be close. We want to be best friends, so we are.
My hope is that my girls will be as fortunate as I am to have lasting meaningful relationships with inspiring, supportive women, and also, be each other's soft place to fall. I am humbled by you fantastic women, and on the eve of another new decade, I wish you all health and happiness, always. xox

1 comment:

  1. Very well said Kris, sisters are an amazing thing! I'm glad you've grown so incredibly close to yours, I truly believe the generation below will be better off for it.

    ReplyDelete