Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Staying Home With The Kids Ain't Always Easy But It's Worth It. (One Mom's Opinion)

I'm pretty lucky to be able to stay home with my girls. Well, actually, truth be told, I really should work because, well, let's just say we're sacrificing a few things for me to be here on my computer- I mean, here with the girls. Fortunately, I don't care that much about 'stuff'. I'm happy to make financial sacrifices for the sake of being home. The reasons I stay home are a) I know it's best for kids to be with their mother especially in the early years, and b) if I were to work full time I would be bitter and stressed out because I would miss all the important little things that went on in my girls' day, and c) my personality is such that I know I wouldn't be able to do the household tasks that are necessary to running a home plus be present for my kids if I worked full time. I would just want to come home and lounge on the couch and my girls deserve the best that I can give them. I didn't like working full time before I had kids. I know some may call me lazy. Go ahead. At least I'm honest. I just simply don't do stress. If I think a situation will be stressful I will turn and walk the other way. That's me! I also don't do drama but that's a topic for another blog.
Being at home full time does get stressful, let me tell you. Allow me first say that I'm blessed to have two amazing girls ( I know no one wants to hear about how moms think their kids are amazing so I'll leave it there) but even so, I find it quite challenging sometimes to be home all the time with them. Just them and me. Oooo, that actually sounds a bit spooky! Like I've said before, I think I'm a calm person. Some may say laid back. Put two screaming kids together with a tired mom, a mountain of laundry and breakfast dishes still on the table at lunch time and you have a recipe for a meltdown and I'm not talking about the kids having a meltdown. Laid back mom quickly transforms into a cross between the Wicked Witch of the West and the scary lady from Goonies, or as I have dubbed myself, Psycho Mom from Hell and it's not pretty, my friends. I do my best not to become overwhelmed by the everyday drudgery because, well, I really don't like that Psycho Mom from Hell. She is unattractive and hateful and the kids think she's a total nut job. I do have a secret to reveal though. It actually feels good to go ape sh*t and let out the pent up steam every once in awhile. That's when I start talking to myself in my out loud voice and run into my room and slam the door shut to my bedroom and start throwing stuff. It's an adult temper tantrum and from time to time it happens. I'm not proud but it is cathartic. I guess what I'm to say is that it not all sugar and spice around here all the time. Sometimes we all go a little loony and need a break. For me, all is well after a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment